Friday, April 6, 2012

Things To Do With Kids: Go Exploring

Where does that road take us?  What's that park like?  Is that restaurant any good?  Go exploring.  Stop asking questions, and find out.

I'm here in New Smyrna Beach, Florida with my family, my folks, and my brother.  Florida was named by Ponce de Leon, a Spanish explorer who discovered this peninsula during his quest for the fountain of youth.  After spending the week here, it seems that all the exploring has already been done.  But has it?

My parents have been here four of the last five years, but this is our first time.  With the addition of a three year old comes the need for a playground - for those times when you just can't handle sand between your toes any longer.  Last night, armed with a Garmin and list of playground addresses, we set out on a little voyage of our own.  We didn't find the fountain of youth, but considering I'm still in my twenties, we founds something way better.


Not even five miles away, we stumbled upon a beautiful playground.  The playground was nestled against this little inlet on the Indian river, and in it were manatees and dolphins eating!  It was the coolest wild animal experience of my life.  Check out this video.


Go exploring.  Unlock the latent explorers in your family.  Even if you don't find endangered river creatures, it will still be a blast!

P.S. If you stumble upon an unsuspecting village, please refrain from pillaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment